Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Box of Sunshine for my Grandma

My grandmother is a practical woman.  She's 91 years old and she doesn't *need* any gifts for Mother's Day.  In fact, she gets a little miffed when people spend money on her.  Well sorry, Grandma.  You are the best grandma ever, and I'm sending you a gift.  But I made sure it's practical.


I'm sending my grandma a box of sunshine.  This idea has been burning up Pinterest lately and I think it's adorable.  The concept is simple:  fill a box with yellow things and include a tag saying that you're sending some sunshine.

I got my tag from HappyMoneySaver.com.  (You can never be too sure with the internet, but the "box of sunshine" idea may have started here, too.  I try to give credit where credit is due, but sometimes it's hard to find the original!)

My boys and I searched the aisles of Target to find yellow things and here's what we came up with:
  • Kleenex box
  • Travel size Kleenex
  • Burt's Bees bar of soap
  • Antibacterial hand soap
  • Zone bar (chocolate peanut butter flavor)
  • Sunflower seed packet
  • Butterscotch disks candy
  • Butterfinger candy bar
  • Peanut M&M's (I know she likes almond better, but peanut had a yellow bag!)
  • Splenda Flavors for Coffee
  • Lemon scented wipes from the "Dollar Spot"
  • Travel size Wet Ones
See? Practical stuff.  She can't complain about that.

Then I made her a sunshine-yellow card and attached the fabric peony I made earlier.  (See this post for the peony instructions.)


I packaged it all up in a box with some yellow tissue paper and paper-punched sunshines.  How could you not be happy if you received this box in the mail?


Happy Mother's Day, Grandma.  You are such an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment