Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pokemon Birthday Cake

My nephew decided he wanted a Pokemon-themed birthday after seeing my son's birthday.  They were travelling until the day before the birthday party, so I volunteered to make his cake.  He actually requested a red velvet cake. Sophisticated taste!

I happen to LOVE red velvet cake ever since I made this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  I followed their cake recipe, but I used my own recipe for buttercream frosting.  So I'm not sure how their frosting is, but I thought mine was actually a bit too sweet.  (Or maybe I loaded it on too thick!) Maybe next time I'll use their frosting recipe.
Red Velvet Pokemon Ball Birthday Cake
The recipe makes a 3-layer cake.  I frosted the whole thing with white buttercream, then used the larger star tip (#21) to pipe the bottom border, the red area on the top and the white area on the top.  I drew the black lines and the name on with a #7 round tip.
The birthday boy with his cake.
The birthday boy took one bite of the cake and exclaimed "Best cake ever!"  That's some high praise coming from a 10-year-old boy!
Blowing out all 10 candles!
Judging by how much cake the 13 of us ate, I think it must have been  pretty good.
Triple Layer Red Velvet Cake with Buttercream Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment